The Language A department consists of studies in language and literature in both English and/or German. The courses are designed for students from a wide variety of linguistic and cultural backgrounds who have experience using either the English and/or German language(s) in an educational context.
Language A teachers believe in:
- inspiring a love of reading through the study of a wide range of literary texts
- developing intercultural understanding, open-mindedness and the attitudes necessary for young people to respect and evaluate a range of points of view.
Students learn to:
- develop the ability to communicate clearly, accurately and effectively when speaking and writing
- use a wide range of vocabulary, as well as the correct grammar, spelling and punctuation
- develop a personal style and an awareness of the audience being addressed
- build an awareness that all texts may be understood in relation to their form, content, purpose, audience and their associated contexts, such as social, historical and cultural circumstances
- appreciate different ways in which writers achieve their effects
- experience literature’s contribution to aesthetic, imaginative and intellectual growth